Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Weekend Part 1: The Sheehans

Matt, Luke and I headed to Sacramento last Thursday for a long weekend with the Bakkens and Sheehans. I can't seem to find time to write about all of the happenings, so I'm posting this update in small portions. I could have worked on putting this together during Luke's nap today, but I decided to nap with him. So, no housework done and no update written, but a much happier mommy in the long run. Here is the first installment!


We spent Friday with my brother and his family and got in some quality time with the niece, Kenzie. She is so sweet with Luke and is very concerned when he cries. She let me know very quickly that the baby cries because he's hungry. Duh, Auntie Lisa, feed the baby and he won't cry. This kid is so smart and full of funny things to say. She has a new big girl bed with Disney Princess sheets. When I asked her which princess was her favorite she tilted her head and replied thoughtfully, "Hmm...I'm not sure exactly." When my mom, aka Nonni, asked if she could see Kenzie's room, she said, "Of course you can!" in her sweet, high-pitched voice. And the best: she has trouble saying the "f" sound and the majority of dinner was spent trying to make her say "Fish have freckles" which she pronounces "Shrish have shreckles." We got it on video; I know, we're jerks.



We took a walk to the park for a little post-dinner exercise and I learned that Kenzie's love for me is conditional and I can easily be replaced by Nonni if I make a wrong move. After all, I am L.A. Auntie, as my loving brother named me, and Nonni is a permanant, local fixture. And, Nonni is fantastic.



Luke was sleeping and I thought I'd get in a little play time with Kenzie. We played chase and had a grass fight and did some gymnastics. We were having so much fun, and I was thinking that I can't wait until Luke is 2 1/2-years-old. And just then, things went awry. We were playing the "It's Mine" game and I told her that the jungle gym was mine. This did not go over well. "It's mwine!" she yelled back (yes, she says "mwine", I know, so cute!). I thought this was all part of the game so I said, "No, it's mine and you can't come on here." Followed by chants of "Mine!", "Mwine!", "Mine!", "MWINE!" At that point I could see and hear that the little lady was starting to lose patience with me so I said, "Why don't we share it and play together?" to which she yelled "NO" and followed with an ear piercing scream. This was the end of play time with Auntie Lisa. She grabbed Nonni by the finger and took her away to play without me. That will teach me to disagree with a 2-year old. And it will also teach me to enjoy my little man sleeping quietly in his stroller.

However, Luke did wake up while we were at the park, and this is what he thought of being roused from his slumber:
Stay tuned for "A Day at the Bakkens" and "Amy's Wedding" coming soon to a computer near you.

2 comments:

  1. It drives me crazy how everyone in Sacramento calls where we live "LA". Huntington Beach is NOT LA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, ok, so you have an "exclusive" address! Show off!
    Momma B

    ReplyDelete