Monday, July 27, 2009

Who Hates Bugs? I Do! I Do!

So, my last blog ended with me stating I wouldn't have another breakdown for 3 months, but that did not even last 24 hours. However, this time it was not due to my darling little bug, but rather the un-darling little bugs that decided to move into our place. Ants. I hate them. Just thinking about them gives me the willies. And, yes, I know that "hate" is a strong word. And, yes, I hate them. I'm just going to say it: I think they might be God's little mistake.


And just in case you're curious like I was, I searched for the meaning of the phrase "it gives me the willies" and here's what I found: The Morris Dictionary of Word and Phrase Origins, traces "the willies" to the slang expression "willie-boy," meaning "sissy" -- presumably the sort who would be prone to the "willies." I feel sorry for the first little boy named Willie that started this. But I digress.


Every summer these rotten mini-hell-monsters decide that our home should be their home. The landlord has an exterminator spray around the building which forces all the ants indoors. There were ants in the kitchen cabinets, bathrooms, living room carpet, and they were coming through the outlets. I even found an ant in Luke's diaper. It was a poopy one and it made me happy that the ant died such a stinky death.

I tore the house apart in a cleaning spree, finding every nook and cranny that could possibly hold any sort of ant bait, then panicked at the mess I left in my wake. Breakdown #2 was pending... Husband appeared, saw my sweaty face, crazy hair, and the mess I had made and told me to stop freaking out and to take Luke to the mall for some air conditioning and retail therapy. (Did I mention that since Luke was born I lost my trademark chilliness and replaced it with constant sweating? Unfair trade.) While I was gone, Matt put the house back together and I came home a happy laddy.
On the positive side, we gave the house a good cleaning and I got a lovely dress to wear to an upcoming wedding.


Here are some cute picture of Luke to end this, because that's really why your're here, right? I call them "Surprise!" and "Drooooool!"

2 comments:

  1. 1. I love a drooly baby. I have a drooly husband too, incidentally.
    2. You are a wonderful, funny writer. I'm so glad you have a blog!
    3. I don't really understand how you've only had 2 breakdowns. Are you lying? Is your definition of breakdown pretty intense? Because I breakdown at least every other day and I've had my mom here to do everything for my family for 17 days. Are you on meds? Does your child never cry? Were you born to be a mom? Apparently I was born to give birth but so far being a mom is as scary as it is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will clarify: The first 2 weeks were intense and I broke down repeatedly, but I don't count that. It wasn't me talking, it was my pain and hormones. Also, Luke didn't really cry the first few weeks. It wasn't until daddy went back to work that the kid laid the smack down on mommy. I was not born to give birth (because, ouch!) but I think I was born to be Luke's mom. Thanks for commenting--you're nice! Also, I love a drooly husband.

    ReplyDelete