Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A Little Laughter

So the other night I cuddled up with Luke after he finished his 2am bottle and was just going to sleep there for a while and then put him in his crib. I'm trying people, I'm trying. But just as I began to rise, the little boy in my arms began laughing in his sleep. Laughing! Like big, smiley laughs! It was so cute that I curled back up with him and went to sleep.


This is big for 2 reasons: First, Luke has cried in his sleep since he was just a couple of days old. Matt and I would stare down at our sweet little boy with his scrunched up face and watch him whimper and eventually cry out. Mind you, he's dead asleep. At first I would rush to pick him up thinking he was waking up sad, but then as I picked him up he would startle, then see my face and smile like nothing had ever happened. We learned to just rub his tummy or put a hand on his head and he would stop crying and go back to sleep. We would sit and ponder what in the world would make a baby cry? Well, we should have been asking what would make a baby laugh. Seriously, think about this. By the time this crying thing started, little Luke had been forced out of his warm, squishy home toward a tiny hole that smooshed his little head. Then he had to go through the whole birth thing (It was rough. I was there.). Then he had a piece of his manhood trimmed off; granted, he slept through the whole thing. And not long after that he had his first experience with shots, which made both he and mommy cry. Seriously, being a baby is tough.


So the second reason that this is so important is that it said to me that Matt and I are doing a good job! Only a happy baby laughs in his sleep, right? I started thinking about all the things that make the little man happy: cuddling with mom and dad, wearing his warm puppy jammies, taking long walks at the beach, riding in the Baby Bjorn, looking at trees (the kid LOVES trees), listening to the Dave Matthew's song "Crush", daddy getting home from work, eating a full bottle, bath time! These things all happen almost every day. So much fun in his life!

So maybe sleeping with him for a little while longer isn't such a bad thing.

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like a singles ad:
    Hi, my name is Luke and I like long walks on the beach. I'm a bit of a mama's boy, so you'll have to deal with that.

    Love the blog, Lis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I were a baby in the Johnson home.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crush is a GREAT song!! I like this kid already. A Dave Matthews fan from such a young age. I'm so proud.

    ReplyDelete