Monday, July 20, 2009

Favoritism, Family, Blood, Birthday, and A Brief Coma

**So this post has some formatting issues. Sorry. I'm new to this!!**
Here is our weekend recap.

First off, Matt took the 4am feeding on Saturday morning so I got to sleep through the night. Good husband. Luke always gets me up at about 6am with his "I'm ready to play now, mom!" shout. But not today! I open my eyes and check the clock. 7:15. Hmmm... No husband next to me, but why don't I hear noises coming from the rest of the house? A quick peek finds my boys asleep in the bed in Luke's room. So cute! It can't last long so I take the opportunity to pack my clothes and get things ready for our weekend away. Check the clock again: 7:45 and still sleeping. I eat breakfast. 8:15...are you kidding me? I took a picture to remember the day Luke let daddy sleep in.

Just so we're clear, he had me up at 6am the next morning. He's already picking favorites.

We headed out to meet my cousin Diane in Century City at Bread Bar (so yummy) for lunch. She lives in Northern California and was here with her niece for the weekend. This was her first time meeting Luke and he greeted her by sleeping and then fussing and then sleeping again. Good introduction. However, we had a great meal and it was so nice to visit with her. We then continued our trek to Newbury Park where we spent the rest of the weekend with Auntie Mary and Uncle Brennie (henceforth referred to as AM/UB).


Luke was well rested by then and put on a great show. Lots of cooing and "talking" and smiles all around. He also had an entertaining bath that resulted in a wet mirror and a wet mommy. I don't have pictures of that, but here is my favorite picture of Luke in the bath. (This was really just an excuse to post this picture.)
So the little man kept scratching his face with his sharp little talons (that I just freakin' trimmed!), so on Sunday morning I thought I would quickly cut them. I will never again try to quickly cut anything off of my child. Who knew so much blood could come from a pinkie. People kept warning me that it would eventually happen, but I was unprepared for the guilt I would feel at wounding my child. I did not take a picture of that. The good news is that, as I was reminded by my friend Karisha, he won't remember the incident. And here I've gone and made a record of it. I'll have to delete this when he learns to read.
Then it was off to the park to celebrate Baby Faythe's 1st birthday!






There was ice,













and bubbles,











and ice,












and magic (props to UB!),





and ice. The kid loves ice!






So, on to the best part of a 1st birthday party. The cake arrived and the little lady very delicately began eating her treat.






She was far too polite to just dive in. Little cake fangs, but still waiting for the big mess...









sharing with mommy...













and...squish. You'll notice there is now a chocolate ice cream goatee and cake in the hair. Good times!









Luke had fun, too.












Now, since this was the first time that we thought Luke's little baby skin would see the sunlight we were prepared with sunblock and the sweetest hat known to man. Had he been awake there would have been pictures like this. He obviously loves the hat less than I do.




At this point it was about 300 degrees and we headed back to AM/UB's to cool off. Luke decided to grace us with some awake time, but awake baby became grumpy baby, became exhausted baby, became crying monster baby. I could sense that a meltdown was just around the corner and we quickly loaded up the car for the drive back to HB. We hoped that Luke might get in a little nap during the drive so he'd be smiley Luke at home. Well, we definitely got more than we asked for. He slept through the 1 hour 10 minute drive (Anyone who knows that drive will appreciate my husband's skillfull freeway navigation. It involved 6 freeways.), woke for a bottle and immediately went back to sleep for 5 more hours. Then woke for another bottle and went back to sleep for another 6 hours. Apparently we need to spend more time at AM/UB's house as it induces brief comas.
All in all it was a great weekend.

2 comments:

  1. I'm trying to get Luke used to laying down for extended periods so he is ready for football season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, you are v. funny. Luke has good coping mechanisms. I wish I was allowed to sleep through parties.

    ReplyDelete